Most of the people can affect with vomiting and diarrhea in their daily life. These conditions are due to food poisoning, medications, viruses, etc. Whatever might be the reason, it is essential to consult your nearest urgent care or primary care provider.
The symptoms of diarrhea and vomiting are different for adults and children.
Diarrhea and vomiting in adults:
The major causes of diarrhea and vomiting in adults include:
- Food poisoning
- Head injury
- Nervousness or stress
- Migraine headache
What kind of symptoms due to diarrhea and vomiting need a visit to urgent care?
- Fever when continues even after taking ibuprofen or acetaminophen
- Diarrhea and vomiting lasts longer than 24 hours
- When you have headache, sleepiness and stiff neck for longer time
- Stomach pain that continues to worsen
- When vomiting becomes really bad or forceful
- If get blood in your vomit or poop
- If you think that diarrhea and vomiting are due to medications
Diarrhea and vomiting in children:
Causes of diarrhea and vomiting in children:
- Foods that are hard to digest
- Undercooked meat or fish
Diarrhea and vomiting can be dangerous in children, especially in younger babies. Because it causes dehydration. Dehydration itself causes various problems, such as weight loss, dry mouth, irritability, sleepiness, little or lack of urine, not eating as well as usual, no tears when crying, thirst, urinating less frequently than usual, etc.
What kind of symptoms of diarrhea and vomiting need a visit to urgent care?
- If the child is younger than 6 months age
- If your child has severe signs of dehydration
- If blood appears in the baby’s stools
- If baby not urinated in 8 hours
- If the baby sleeping for more time than usual
- If baby has stiff neck
- If the child older than 6 months and has fever above 101.4°F
- If blood appears in baby’s vomit
- If the baby swallowed something that could be poisonous
- If the baby has abdominal pain for greater than 2 hours
- If the baby has vomiting for longer than 8 hours
- If the baby vomits with greater force