Do you have any idea about extreme dehydration? Extreme dehydration is a problem with desert travelers. It is the most common problem and is sometimes lead to death also.
Extreme dehydration is a medical condition that needs immediate care or serious condition can lead, even death.
In the cases of severe dehydration, your body losses more fluids than it take in a short span of time, perhaps in a day or two. A largely dehydrated bodies lose its ability to perform its normal functions.
Major causes of severe dehydration: Not drinking enough water is the evident cause of dehydration but is not always the case. Usually, you will suffer from severe vomiting or diarrhea or fevers or exercising severely without taking sufficient water. So really, it’s not so much that no water is taken in but that a lot of fluid is lost rapidly. Another conditions like mild dehydration leads to dizziness, fatigue and weakness. Severe dehydration is life threatening condition.
Risk factors of severe dehydration:
- Usually small children are at higher risk as they are less weight and have recurrent turnover of water and electrolyte. Also, children are at greater risk of diarrhea.
- Older adults are also at greater risk of severe dehydration as their ability to consume water decreases with the age. As the age increases, feeling of thirst also decreases. Also, older adults easily forget to take.
- People with chronic illnesses are also at greater risk of dehydration, such as diabetic people, people with alcoholism, cystic fibrosis and adrenal gland diseases.
- Also, athletes are at great risk of dehydration, particularly those who participate in humid, hot or high altitudes.
Complications of severe dehydration:
- Dehydration can cause heart injury due to severe exposure to the sun.
- Brain swelling can occur as a dehydrated body releases components that pull the water into cells.
- Hypovolemic shock is another complications associated with dehydration. This occurs when low blood quantity creates rapid decrease in blood pressure. This condition can lead to death within few minutes.
- Failure of kidneys as the kidneys are unable to remove the wastes and fluids from your body.
- Severe dehydration can sometimes lead to coma and even death.